You know how sometimes people on your friends list post about stuff going on in their life, and all of a sudden you think "Wait a minute? Since when are they working THERE? Since when are they dating HIM/HER? since when???" And then you wonder how you could have missed all that seemingly pretty standard information, but somehow you feel too ashamed to ask for clarification because it seems like info you should already know? It happens to all of us sometimes.
Please copy mine below, erase my answers putting yours in their place then post it in your journal! Please elaborate on the questions that would benefit from elaboration! One-Word-Answers seldom help anyone out :)
1. First Name: Debi.
My last name isn't a secret either, thanks to matgb. In fact, this journal is the number one hit you get when you google my full name. Well, an entry on this journal, anyway. I'd rather it were the journal itself.
2. Age: Twenty seven, though I'd rather be 22.
3. Location: London, UK. I'll call it Nodnol a lot, but that's because I'm a Red Dwarf fan first and foremost.
I've lived in London since 1999, when I started as an undergraduate at UCL (University College London). I am currently a postgraduate student at not just the same college, but the same department although I did take a year out to do some actual work. I hated it, and went back to school.
I've lived in my current flat for two years now, which is the longest I've lived anywhere in those nine years. I grew up in a large village west of London along the Thames Valley, and my parents still live there.
4. Occupation: Technically full time student, joint at UCL and the Natural History Museum in South Kensington, working on the morphometrics of Ornithischian dinosaur limb bones. I have no student grant and live entirely on the kindness of my parents, who are generous enough to cover my rent and bills. I tried balancing my PhD with a part time job at a coffee shop, but that didn't work out. Now I have two volunteer positions on a one-day-a-week basis: one helping to curate at the Grant Museum of Zoology and Comparative Anatomy at UCL; and the other, which I've only been doing for two weeks and am still training, as a Learning Volunteer at the NHM, where I will be interacting with the public in the galleries.
5. Partner?: I never thought I'd use the word, but I do quite often to describe agoodshinkickin. Not because it's more mature than 'girlfriend' (I like'girlfriend') but because it's gender neutral and I've found it puts off the awkward admission of the gay thing for as long as possible with a new acquaintance. For more on how this permeates every aspect of my life, you might want to read this post on Shakesville
6. Kids: Childless, not childfree. When the time is right I have every intention of trying A.I. procedures and adoption, but I don't have much truck with IVF for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with 'embryonic rights'.
7. Brothers/Sisters: One elder sister, married to one of my old school-friends, and currently three months pregnant with my first nephewniece shaped thing. I love her with a very significant part of my heart, because she's one of the few people with whom I can discuss animal dissection over dinner. Our only disagreements come from her disparaging view of fandom - she is what I've come to consider as ex-fannish in the way that someone from certain parts of U.S. society might become ex-gay.
8. Pets: I am not yet in a situation where I can offer stability to an animal, but I have had gerbils and snakes (not at the same time) and I currently live with an 18 year old cat named Jasper, who is grouchy, toothless, and incredibly affectionate.
9. List the 3-5 biggest things going on in your life:
A) My PhD. I should finish by September, but that looks increasingly unlikely, though maybe not impossible yet. The stress of it permeates every second of my life right now and I am way grouchier, more touchy, and more distractable right now than I should normally be. However, as this is a months-years situation, I can't call it temporary. However, this too will pass and I'm dealing with the stress in ways that are helping me to grow. Also, I really like palaeontology, dinosaurs are bloody cool, and I want to be a Dr. before I'm ever a Mrs.
B) Upcoming aunthood. There are no words, because there was no way I could understand the bigness of this before it started happening. There's going to be a person, which I will help shape. This is actually more important to me right now than the PhD
C) ORO, also called the One Roof Operative is the long term plan that will one day conclude with Bing and I living under the same. In the meantime, there is:
D) My flatmate of three years is about to move to Canterbury (starts work on Monday), and one of my best friends from milliways_bar, avariel_wings will move in in his place!
10. Parents: Still married after nearly 38 years, and both retired. I get on famously with both of them: from my Dad I have my love for science fiction, my ADD brain (though he'll deny it), and my addiction to the computer. From my Mum I have ridiculously short hamstrings, a tendency towards anxiety and a drive towards self-improvement through understanding. From them both I have a passion for learning, a love of stories and a need to understand the natural world. They are both argumentative - and no doubt will prove me right by emailing me as soon as they red this to argue about what I've said of them, and both are incredibly intelligent. I am super-crazy lucky with my family and the connections I have with them, and no, you can't have them.
11. Who are some of your closest friends? I actually have quite a few people I'd count as close friends, on and offline indiscriminately. drakhen was my best friend as an undergraduate and I've lived with her since 2002. Outside of the flat but in London, you're talking steely_glint, davegodfrey andryanthewatcher, two of whom I've known since my RockRoc days at UCL and all of which I hang out with weekly at least at GameSoc. As far as online friends go - obviously there's agoodshinkickin, but weaverandom is one of my favouritest people ever and always my first choice to RP with. And there's miscellanny and darthrami, both of whom I love to pieces and talk to as often as possible, and then Kate, Amy, Clare, Li, Ana, Daniel, Jennie, Mat, and more people than I can list, really.
And that, I think, is everything.