?

Log in

No account? Create an account
heart + stomach
Innerbrat
Advancing the sum total of human knowledge and endeavour!
Obama's Speech to the Democrats' Convention 
29th-Aug-2008 04:45 pm
heart + stomach
According to my friends list, most people in the USA have seen this. Here it is for everyone who hasn't.



You USians had better VOTE THE SHIT out of that man.
DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE.
Opinions 
29th-Aug-2008 03:48 pm (UTC)
I think USians is now my favorite word.

Damn straight I'm voting for that man. I've liked him ever since I heard him speak in 2004.
29th-Aug-2008 03:49 pm (UTC)
youtube link so I can actually watch it?
29th-Aug-2008 04:17 pm (UTC)
I don't have Flash, just a hack that will play (specifically) youtube videos in a video player.
29th-Aug-2008 08:07 pm (UTC)
Eh, I'm kinda mad at LJ for not having any fallback whatsoever :V
29th-Aug-2008 03:58 pm (UTC)
I'm voting for him. Unfortunately, unless something changes, McCain's probably going to win this state. I don't have any recent polls, but from back in late July, McCain had about a 9 point lead here.
29th-Aug-2008 04:19 pm (UTC)
Have you seen the VP McCain's picked? Pro-life, lifetime member of the NRA, Anti same-sex marriage, apparently likes "teaching the controversy" governer of Alaska. She makes Hillary look like a sane choice.
29th-Aug-2008 04:28 pm (UTC)
California isn't a swing state, but I'm certainly voting for Obama there. (I could probably arrange to vote in Pennsylvania, which is presently a Democratic-leaning state but not quite as certain to go blue as California, instead. If I did that, though, I might lose part of my university funding, and anyhow there are other important votes I need to make in California this fall.)
29th-Aug-2008 04:39 pm (UTC)
But... what if we want you to come over here?
30th-Aug-2008 06:02 am (UTC)
Ha! I was thinking that.
30th-Aug-2008 08:31 am (UTC)
If you don't vote Obama in, I don't know that I'd want to!
29th-Aug-2008 04:43 pm (UTC)
I'll do my damnedest to see this man elected.

Professionally I have disagreements with some his proposed tax changes but then again most of what I do has always been "Politicans are morons, and yet somehow my boss. Time to fix their mistakes...again."

Though I will echo, McCain choice was purely to go "I has r WoMAn!". The choice is more a newbie then Obama(for a platform that is supposed to be about experience), more problems, and doesn't add anything except to court the Right Wing WASP brigade.
29th-Aug-2008 04:45 pm (UTC)
If I thought for an instant my vote would matter, I would vote for him.

But I live in Florida, and there is NO WAY this state's not going red. Not so long as Jeb has any say in it.

I don't have enough faith in the democratic process to waste my time standing in line to make a vote that won't count, if it's even counted in the first place.
29th-Aug-2008 05:27 pm (UTC)
People like you are the reason the state will go red.

Florida was the state that was so close in 2000 it had to be re-counted.

Every vote in a swing state counts.
29th-Aug-2008 05:38 pm (UTC)
Amen. I'm voting Obama in Ohio, even though I haven't lived at home in six years, because damn it, they need me there.
29th-Aug-2008 06:08 pm (UTC)
"People like me" are the disenfranchised, the disillusioned. "People like me" are the ones who look beyond the comfortable illusions and see the painful truths. "People like me" are the ones who have lost all faith in a system that cannot manage to do the one thing it claims as important above all else -- allow the people to choose their own leaders.

What happened in 2000 only proves my point. The recount was contested, stalled, improperly conducted, biased, and ultimately deemed irrelevant by the Florida Voting Commission. Primarily because the chairperson of that commission, Katherine Harris, was in the back pocket of the RNC.

The decision to award the state's votes to Bush had absolutely nothing to do with the actual will of the people. It was a biased decision by a party flunkie doing what she was told. She illegally excluded hundreds of thousands of eligible voters, the majority of whom historically voted Democrat. And when that failed to swing the numbers far enough in Bush's direction to be decisive, she and her party fought the recount at every turn, going as far as the Supreme Court to get a ruling allowing her to completely ignore the results of the recount and do whatever she damn well pleased.

The election in 2004 wasn't any prettier. For the first time in the history of the process, the exit polling failed to accurately predict the winner of the election. And the districts in which the discrepancy was most obvious were the same districts employing electronic voting machines bought from a company with a long history of major contributions to the Republican party, and who sent a memo to the RNC virtually guaranteeing them the victory by any means necessary.

The voting process is merely the illusion of choice. And if you have any doubt of that, look again at the 2000 election. The winner of that election was not the person that the majority of the people voted for, even if we remove the state of Florida entirely. The system does not, and is not intended to, reflect the will of the people.

And, frankly, even ignoring all of that, I'm simply not going to vote for anyone who tells me that 90% of my friends don't deserve every one of the same rights as the other 10%.
29th-Aug-2008 06:18 pm (UTC)
And none of that is going to change if people don't get out and MAKE it change.

Bush's approval rating has plummeted. People are unhappy with the direction this country has gone in the last eight years. And people want change.

But we have to work together to effect that change. And that means getting out and voting, no matter what you think about if your vote is going to count.

Yes, the 2000 election proved that our electoral college system is in need of some serious overhauling. Do you really think the Republicans are going to be the ones to overhaul it? Not when it works out in their favor.

The democratic process may not be perfect, but it will fail if people don't stand up and let their voices be heard.

As for this:
And, frankly, even ignoring all of that, I'm simply not going to vote for anyone who tells me that 90% of my friends don't deserve every one of the same rights as the other 10%.

I'm not sure what you're referring to there, actually.
29th-Aug-2008 06:51 pm (UTC)
At the risk of a Godwin's Law violation: "The next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election." -- George Carlin.

I'm not sure what you're referring to there, actually.

I'm referring to GLBT rights, up to and including same-sex marriage. McCain's always been against it, and Obama made his stance very clear last night. Paraphrased: "We may disagree on same-sex marriage, but we can all agree that gays and lesbians should be able to visit their loved ones in the hospitals and be free from discrimination."

Not "they're human beings and deserve the same rights and privileges as every other human being". Frankly, to invoke Dr. King and then to offer measly bread-crumbs of separate-but-equal to the GLBT population disgusted me.
(Deleted comment)
30th-Aug-2008 02:14 am (UTC)
I suppose that's a damn sight better than nothing. *sighs* I still wish for a candidate with the balls to come out and say that people are people regardless of who they fuck and they all deserve the same considerations and rights. Not pushing "I Can't Believe It's Not Marriage" as an acceptable substitute, which just feels too much like "okay, straight people can eat at this lunch counter, but gay people have to eat at that lunch counter, but trust us, it's just as good, we just want to keep you separate."

On the other hand, I keep coming back to the quote from Franklin in 1776 regarding the removal of the slavery clause from the Declaration: "First things first, John. Independence, America. If we don't secure that, what difference will the rest make?" The key is to retake the White House first, and without that, all the other good intentions won't matter.

It's all just more and more reason why I have lost faith in democracy in this country. To get into power, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and to stay there, you have to keep from supporting legislation that would swing too far to either side, lest you risk alienating enough people that they vote the other way next time.
29th-Aug-2008 06:49 pm (UTC)
I will PROUDLY be voting the shit out of that man. And I'll probably make myself a bumper sticker or something. "My first presidential vote was for Obama."

I think it's awesome that my first presidential election vote gets to be for him.
29th-Aug-2008 08:43 pm (UTC)
It would definitely be awesome if Obama makes it - but my inner cynic keeps betting that he won't. Yes, he's old - but there's a lot of old voters, and enough people that'd think he looks like a wise elderly relative to matter. And he's now backed by "The Powar Of WoMan!!", essentially so he can say "I Has WoMan!! Nah! Thwb!".

The only reason I'm not totally depressed is that we'll get to see Sorry, Everybody again. Or, we should do anyway ;)
29th-Aug-2008 08:55 pm (UTC)
*waves absentee ballot registration form*
29th-Aug-2008 09:21 pm (UTC)
Oh, you had better believe it.
30th-Aug-2008 02:39 am (UTC)
So voting the fuck shitdamn out of this fucker.
30th-Aug-2008 05:08 am (UTC)
Uhm ... but you are coming over here! Just in time for the aftermath of all the voter fraud!
30th-Aug-2008 07:29 am (UTC)
So you'd all better do what she says as she'll be checking ...! :)
30th-Aug-2008 01:05 pm (UTC)
She's like Santa Claus!
4th-May-2009 06:19 am (UTC)
I'm hoping that the current Obama Bailout plan will contribute a positive effect on the current economic crisis we are into.
This page was loaded Apr 27th 2018, 6:30 am GMT.