After three starts that resulted in a complete frustrated unravelling - misinterpreting the pattern, counting wrong, and one giant dropping of too many stitches - This is a couple of days work on a lacy newborn hat
for the Thing - as which I have begun using to refer to the future person whose aunt I will be. Yes, I am frustrated there's no gender neutral term for the child of my sister. Not that it will matter soon. Her due date is tomorrow, but I hear first babies can be late. So I have some time to finish the hat, then.
For the lacy section at the bottom, I learned how to do yarn forwards (easy) and knitting together (simple, but annoying if your knitting's as tight as mine). Mostly, I learned to follow a pattern, because the first two times I attempted the pattern I was inserting an extra stitch into every repeat.
On this final piece, there's one hole that doesn't look right, but it's still passable and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. I'm using yarn bought at my local craft shop (I'm still impressed how cheap even normal, non-sale yarn is), and changes colour from yellow to white to green. The finished hat will have a yellow brim and a green cap. The hairbands, by the way, are stitch markers, every 10 stitches so I can count at a glance and keep an eye on the shape. Once those lacey rows were done, the stocking stitch rising takes no time at all. I just need to decrease for the crown and I'm done.
Next time I will attempt a hat in the round, as I don't think seamed hats are as comfortable for newborns as they should be. Still, it's looking like it's going to be a hat, and I hope my sister likes it.
Because any day now I'm going to get a phone call from my parents, and I will run home with my pre-packed suitcase, and spend the timefrom here until Christmas being an aunt. Yay aunthood!